SPECIAL CURBSIDE COLLECTIONS
BULKY ITEMS: Some can get collected with our weekly pickup. Please make sure you follow these guidelines so we can best service your property. We don't want to leave items on your curb.
- The item MUST be allowed in our trash program per the state landfill requirements. Items such as a couch or small piece of furniture are usually fine, but not all items are permitted in this collection. Below lists items we cannot take with the trash.
- Items must be something our crew can pick up and will fit in the truck. Be mindful of weather. Bulky items that are soaking wet or covered with snow will be too heavy for our hauling crew to pick up.
- Items that are NOT permitted in this collection. Construction debris (eg. toilets, windows, large mirrors & glass, scrap wood, wooden outdoor furnitur,e etc.), TVs, E-waste, mattresses & boxsprings, appliances or hazardous items. These items cannot be collected in our town program and do require a different method of disposal.
- Amount Accepted. This collection is limited to one (1) bulky item per week. Plan ahead if you are moving out or cleaning out.
- Recycling must be out for any trash to be collected. North Smithfield has a No Bin, No Barrel policy stating No Recycling, No Trash Collected.
- Other Options. Consider donating if your item is still usable. When we collect a bulky item, it is going into the trash and landfilled. Donating items is a great way to help someone else, save expensive trash disposal fees and be good to our environment.
WHITE GOODS (Appliances): White goods are large metal appliances: stove, refrigerator, water heaters, gas grills, etc.
- White goods are collected the first Saturday of the month. Call our recycling department (767-2200, x 348) by the Wednesday before collection day to add your address to the list.
- Smaller appliances such as a microwave, dehumidifier or toaster ovens can be brought to our Recycle Center @ our Highway Garage, 281 Quaker Highway, when the recycle area is open.
YARD WASTE: Yard waste is defined as vegetation, grass, leaves, weeds and small branches smaller than 3 feet in length and 2 inches in diameter. NO stones, dirt, or trash can be mixed in.
- Weekly segregated collections that have been changed to be collected on your regular trash & recycling day.
- Spring collections run from April 1 – June 1. Fall collections from Oct. 1 – Dec. 1. Actual dates will vary to reflect Monday start date.
- Place in brown compostable yard waste bags or trash cans clearly marked yard waste. Small bundles of branches are also accepted if they are less than 3 feet long, and the branches are less than 2 inches in diameter. All material is run through a chipper which requires these limits.
- Residents are no longer limited to just 8 bags per week. We now allow resonable amounts weekly, as the need can flucuate during the season.
Still unsure of how to get rid of an item? Check the “How Do I Dispose” link or call Recycling @ 767-2200, x 348.