We're Recycling Mattresses & Box Springs in Rhode Island!
Many might not realize, but mattresses & box springs are 95% recyclable, if prepaired correctly. All residents have to do is follow the guidelines below, and we can accept good condition, recycable mattresses at no charge to you.
Beginning May 1, 2016, retailers and other business selling mattresses began collecting a recycling fee on each piece sold to Rhode Island consumers. These fees are remitted to Mattress Recycling Council, a non-profit organization, for use in transporting and recycling mattresses that are accepted in this program.
Mattress Recycling Guidelines:
1. Mattresses or box springs must be used in the state of Rhode Island.
2. All pieces must be in reasonable condition. (Mattresses that are severly damaged, wet, frozen, infested with living organisms or heavily soiled are not accepted).
3. Sofa bed mattresses, sleeping bags, loose bedding, juvenile size bedding, futons and water beds do not get disposed in this program. (Different disposal methods are required for items not taken in this program.)
Program for North Smithfield Residents:
1. Drop-off at the Highway Garage. Dry, acceptable mattresses are allowed at no charge to the Highway Garage, 281 Quaker Highway. Spring hours will start on April 8, 2020, Wednesdays from 3 PM to 6 PM and Saturdays from 10 AM to 2 PM. This service is for town residents only (IDs will be checked) and is limited to 3 pieces per visit.
2. Curbside Pickup Service for a fee - Ace Mattress Recyclers will pick up in the Town of NS every Monday for $25 per piece. Appointments must be scheduled by Friday the week prior by calling Ace directly @ (401) 615-9619.
3. Questionable mattresses? If you are unsure if your mattress will be accepted in this recycling program, you can always bring it to our state landfill RI Resource Recovery in Johnston. They also accept recyclable mattresses at no charge, but if for some reason yours cannot be taken in this program, the landfill will then charge a disposal fee to landfill this item.
Questions ? Contact the Recycling Department @ 767-2200, x 348