Moving or Cleaning Out?
Residents are reminded:
1. Weekly trash limits still apply. Households are limited to two (2) 36 gallon containers or bags per week. The town will not come and collect unlimited amounts of trash. An additonal bulky item that is permitted in our trash collection is allowed, but limited to only ONE per week. (This excludes mattresses, box springs, hazardous items, construction debris, and recyclable items).
2. Have more trash than the limits? - Ways to reduce your amount of trash are listed below, but if you still have more than the town can collect, consider:
a) Purchase NS yellow town trash bags for any trash over the weekly limit. Bags are sold for $10/ package of five 33 gallon bags. Bags are available for purchase at Town Hall, The Annex and our Highway Garage during normal hours.
b) disposing directly at RI Resource Recovery for a fee or
b) rent a "The Bagster" a small collapsable dumpster, or a full size dumpster from a private hauling company.
3. Plan Ahead - This will help reduce your trash amounts on move-out day.
4. Donate when possible - Many organizations are happy to accept good "usable" household items. Some will also offer to come and pick up at your house and give tax donation certificates.
5. Place ONLY accepted items out for collection. While our haulers are happy to collect the items that are allowed in our programs, unfortunately some items do not fall in these catagories. Click below for ways to handle these other items. Many can be brought to collection site or dropped in a community bin.
6. Don't leave items out at the curb. Trash and recycling should only be placed out no earlier than 6 pm the night prior to your collection day. The town will sticker items placed in error and are not collected curbside. Please make sure to remove off the road. We want to keep our street clear and safe for all to enjoy our community.
7. Call with any questions. We are here to help! Proper sorting does get confusing. A quick call to our Recycling office (767-2200 x 345) can make sure you do not come home to the frustration of items left after collection day.
Moving Into North Smithfield?
Welcome to our community. Please take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with the Trash & Recycling Programs offered in our town.
Trash & Recycle Bins - New residents needing a curbside recycle bin, can pick up one free at our Town Hall ( in Slatersville) or at the highway garage during normal hours. Residents would purchase their own trash 36 gallon size trash can.
Trash & Recycling Programs in NS - Programs can vary from town to town, as well as by state. Information is available on the website, but if you have additional questions contact the Recycling Department.
Multi-Unit Prooperties - The Town of North Smithfield offers weekly trash & recycling service to 1 - 4 unit properties. We ask landlords to understand and inform your tenants what is permitted in the weekly collections and be mindful of what is placed out for collection. If issues do arise, the property owner is ultimately responsible.